Blog by @emilee.mitchel on Instagram
It’s that spine-tingling time of year, and we’re on a mission to help you turn up the spooky vibes with some upcycled DIY fun! This Halloween inspired castle craft will have you saying “Spooktacular!” as you cut, color, and glue your way to a boo-tifully crafted castle. With just a few items from around the house and some OOLY art supplies, you can turn your castle dream into a delightful (and slightly eerie) reality! Ready to make some fang-tastically fun memories? Let’s get our spooky on!
Time Duration: 30-45 minutes
Skill Level: Beginner
OOLY Products Needed:
- Black DIY Cover Sketchbook
- White DIY Cover Sketchbook
- Vivid Pop! Water Based Paint Markers
- Chroma Blends – Pearlescent
- Chroma Blends – Watercolor Paint Brushes
- Totally Taffy Scented Gel Pens
- Stickiville Stickers:
- Lil’ Poster Paint Pods – classic
- Color Lustre Metallic Brush Markers
- Rainbow Sparkle Glitter Markers
Other Items Needed:
- Scissors (adult supervision required)
- X-acto knife (adult supervision required)
- Paper towel rolls
Step 1: For this craft, you need at least 2 empty paper towel rolls and 2 toilet paper rolls (or you can cut a paper towel roll in half). Give them a spooky makeover by wrapping them up in Black DIY Cover Sketchbook paper. Simply cut the paper to the correct size, add glue to the roll, and wrap. These will be the main structure of your castle.
Step 2: Every castle needs a strong foundation. This castle comes together by attaching the four cardboard rolls together. Start by gluing the two longest rolls together and then attaching one short roll on each side.
Step 3: Using either scissors or an x-acto knife, cut out the areas where you want the windows and doors to go – peek-a-BOO!
Step 5: Next, take your painted sheets of paper and cut out the doors, windows, and rooftop shapes. TIP: For the windows and doors, be sure to look at the shape and size of your openings so that everything fits nicely together.
Step 7: Mount the roof, door, and windows to your mighty paper towel castle, using glue of course.
- My 6 year old and I crafted simpler spooky homes with just a single toilet paper roll, painted using Lil’ Poster Paint Pods classic colors.
- Sculpt eerie Halloween figures with Creatibles DIY Air Dry Clay.
- Puppet show, anyone? Use Stickiville stickers to whip up tiny actors.
- To light up your haunted night, place LED tea lights inside your ghostly creations.
Crafting our spooky castle isn’t just about making a decoration—it’s about brewing memories, igniting creativity, and experiencing the magic of Halloween in every brushstroke and sticker. Dive in, let your imagination run wild, and when you’ve crafted your supernatural spectacle, share it with us. We’re dying to be spellbound by your creation!
Join our coven of crafty wizards on Instagram @WeAreOOLY using #OOLYcreateyourhappy.